Friday, April 27, 2012

Gaming Pet Peeves


It's that one thing in a game that you just can't ignore; it bothers you to a point that you begin to ask yourself 'why' or 'how'. It doesn't ruin the experience nor is it a game breaker, it's just kind of...annoying. I'm sure everyone has one. It's not a complaint like bad graphics, bad voice acting or weird shooting mechanics; those are the types of things you criticize a game on. To give you an idea what I mean, I'll confess a few of mine.

No Visible Damage After a Boss Battle
Probably the biggest of all my peeves, I hate in a game when you finish a boss battle complete with gunshots, explosions, stabbing and everything else and the ensuing cut-scene depicts the protagonist and the boss both huffing and puffing, yet neither of them have a scratch. It feels kind of hokey seeing the bad guy falling to the ground suffering from wounds I can't see; I would compare it directly to a death scene from an old black and white movie in my head sometimes. I'm not saying I want to see every mark I could have possibly made throughout the fight but it would be nice to at least see some visible damage on my opponent.

Too Many Doors!
I love when a game separates itself from all the action and just gives me some time to explore. What gets me is that sometimes there's just too much to explore. I'm the kind of person that has to explore every possible nook and cranny of every location in every game. I'm a complete item, ammo, weapon hoarder; I have to find everything. I hate when I'm going about my business exploring and I run into that fork in the road or that hallway that has like ten doors because I have to look in every single one of them. It turns into which one am I supposed to go in so I know to go there last. Sometimes I realize when I choose a certain path I may be going deeper into the mission, quest or whatever so I end up turning around and backtracking to check out the areas I may have skipped. It sounds crazy but in Games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill or Dead Space I find myself hoping doors will be locked or paths blocked so I don't get stuck endlessly exploring.

Can't Swim
I hate in games when you can't swim; it almost never makes any sense to not be able to swim in a game. Take the first Assassin's Creed game for instance; Altair would drown if players fell in the water and the game would reload your last checkpoint. How can a master assassin not swim or just instantly drown after falling in water!? I ran into this problem a few times in Assassin's Creed; there were always those jumps or leaps that you just missed. Altair just didn't grab the ledge, ran into the wall and fell into the seemingly perilous water below. Red Dead Redemption is another game that this peeve particularly annoyed me. I know that a lot of people in that day and age couldn't swim but that doesn't make it okay for John Marston to drown and again die instantly from standing in waist deep water.

I probably have a couple other peeves other than the ones listed here but they don't come to mind at the moment. I know a lot of people can relate with the peeves I've listed and that there are many others out there so feel free to list yours in the comments section!

No comments:

Post a Comment