Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Multiple game delays


Bioshock Infinite was slated to be one of the biggest games at E3 and launches of this year but it looks like no one will be seeing Bioshock Infinite at E3 or be playing it this year. The game was recently delayed until an approximate date of February, 23 of the year 2013. Ken Levine, of Irrational Games, released a statement apologizing for the delay but promises that some specific tweaks and improvements will make Infinite into something even more extraordinary. Levine goes on to promise that the wait will be worth it and that Irrational Games feels they owe it to their fans to make the game great. He also noted that Bioshock will not be present at E3 due to the fact Irrational wants to make sure they show-off the finished product only.

While I was initially pretty disappointed when I read about the delay, I realize that Levine's statement sounded very sincere and I trust him, along with Irrational Games to make Bioshock Infinite into an amazing game. Infinite was my most anticipated title this year and it's almost ironic that I had pre-ordered it just days before the delay. It's also funny that I thought to myself that I still have Tomb Raider to look forward too.

Just a few days later, Square-Enix announced that Tomb Raider wouldn't be hitting store shelves until the first quarter of 2013 as well. Studio head at developer, Crystal Dynamics, Dave Gallagher, stated that to achieve the goals that had originally been set for this ambitious game, that more time was needed. However, we can still look forward to seeing the game at E3 and Gallagher said the game is already looking amazing. As an extended apology, Crystal Dynamics released a screenshot of the game as well. Somehow, it's just my luck the two games I wanted most this year are being delayed.


Finally, the less anticipated but sure to be a hit, South Park game has also been delayed until early 2013. THQ did not provide a reason for the game's delay but I feel that it may have been some of the differences in ideas between designers and the original South Park creators that led to a delay. While I wasn't specifically excited for South Park and it likely won't measure up to Bioshock or Tomb Raider, the game still looked pretty solid. The concepts and innovations going into South Park really intrigued me and is still looking to be a good game.

 I suppose we'll just have to wait until the first quarter of 2013 however to play any of these games. I have to admit, I was initially surprised when I heard the October release date for Infinite, so I guess I almost expected it. Tomb Raider on the other hand I did not expect but I'm glad developers are taking the time to really make these games worth it to their fans. How do you feel about these delays? Were you planning on getting any of these games when they came out? This also poses the question of any other games possibly being delayed. Grand Theft Auto V is speculated to be released this year but I"m really beginning to doubt that and I'm getting the feeling Borderlands 2 may be delayed as well. I'll keep my fingers crossed though and hope that all launches go as according to plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment