Friday, January 31, 2014

Don't Starve: Why Can't I Get Into It?


I'm a big fan of Indie games. I find them to be refreshingly creative and original compared to some of the more mainstream titles we see on the shelves. I also enjoy the great majority of classical approaches developers have taken with their games like the top-down view in Hotline Miami, the 8-bit graphics of Minecraft, the retro style of Faster Than Light and side-scroll gameplay of many others. However, the open world survival adventure game, Don't Starve from Klei Entertainment has me at a loss. 

I love the concept of Don't Starve; it evokes images reminiscent of a Tim Burton movie mixed with something like Minecraft. You craft supplies from materials you collect, build fires to keep you sane in the night, explore caves and much more. The different monsters you find throughout the world are terrifying and add an element of horror to the game which I love. The game progresses through the seasons which alter your needs to survive. When you die, you are awarded experience to unlock more characters, each with their own perks. 


While it sounds fun and intriguing, I just can't get into it for some strange reason. The really weird thing is that I want to; I want to like Don't Starve but I can't bring myself to play it for more than 10 or 15 minutes before I move onto something else. I feel like I've explored the entirety of my world and I haven't come across anything particularly interesting. Then again, it's the only world I've played in, so maybe I should just die and generate a new world. If I were to die, I could also gain some experience which might allow me to unlock another character. I also haven't made it to winter which I hear adds more excitement to the game. I've also pondered if there are some secrets or lesser known features of the game I may not have yet discovered. 

Whatever it is, I'm sure I'll figure it out. I like Don't Starve and I want to enjoy it. Perhaps I just need to sit down and really grind for a bit and discover where the true fun is in this game. Have you had a similar experience with a generally well received indie game? Feel free to make suggestions for indie games I should check out too. 


2 comments:

  1. Trust me, once you have a strategy and you make it to the later days in the game, it will become more challenging. I think that the game has endless possibilities and the hounds and wintertime itself make it a tough game. Yes, the attention span may be lost at first because it becomes a bit of a routine for the first couple of days. But as soon as winter hits and you have to farm and hunt and all the other things in between, it becomes super addicting. Just my opinion, but definitely try to get further and check out all the characters as you unlock them. They each have different attributes and weaknesses that make them unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man. Yeah, I'll have to dive in again this weekend or something and see where I can get with it.

    ReplyDelete