Saturday, March 1, 2014

Dark Souls II: Strategy Guide Debate


As the release date for Dark Souls II draws closer (March 11) and my anticipation builds, I've been considering whether or not to purchase a strategy guide. When I jumped into the first Dark Souls game last year, I was lucky enough to be able to reference a number of online, user submitted guides whenever I ran into trouble, which was a lot. Finding strategies for bosses, weapon locations, examining character builds, bugs and exploits, and which way to go next where all invaluable pieces of information as I played through the game.

Now with Dark Souls II on the horizon, I have the chance to go in completely cold since it will take quite some time for walkthroughs to make their way onto the internet. I could of course buy the strategy guide, but I'm afraid it would ruin the experience. I could easily use the guide to find out if I'm going the right way, missing a weapon or a secret area or just doing everything wrong. It'd be so convenient, which is part of the problem. It might sound kind of masochistic, but I want this kick to kick my butt. I think that's a good deal of where the fun will emanate from. Having the guide would just give me all the answers, like cheating on a test. I could also resort to purchasing the guide and using it only for emergencies, when I get stuck and I feel completely and utterly hopeless.

That's where I'm at with my internal debate. I'm leaning toward going in completely cold but I don't want the game to frustrate me to the point that I just end up hating it and giving up. What do you think? Does Dark Souls II warrant an occasion to grab the guide or should I go in blind.

1 comment:

  1. Early Dark Souls II reviews have been overwhelmingly positive, suggesting that the latest instalment of challenging and atmospheric RPG series is a worthy investment of your valuable March time.
    Here's what the critics are saying in their Dark Souls II reviews:
    Dark Souls 2 Gameplay

    ReplyDelete